Features and benefits
Blackmores Detox Program includes:
- An exfoliating mitt for your skin
- A comprehensive detox by targeting five major organs
- A 10 day commitment, making it easier to successfully complete the program
- Free support from Blackmores naturopaths with tips, advice and motivation to help you stay on course and treat your body to a fresh start. Call our free advisory service on 1800 803 760
- For information and downloads to support your detox program visitdetox.blackmores.com.au
The Detox Program is based on the naturopathic belief that health problems may be caused by the digestive system not functioning efficiently.
The body has many complex ways of eliminating toxic wastes. Without these we could not survive. Put simply, the processes of digestion and elimination involve the following organs:
- The stomach churns and mixes the food with gastric juices that break down food and kill bacteria. The stomach then releases a small amount of food at a time into the small intestine.
- The small intestine mixes broken down food with digestive juices and bile. It then finishes the digestion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. The small intestine absorbs around 90% of all nutrients.
- The large intestine (colon) absorbs water and vitamins and minerals and contains most of the gastrointestinal microflora. The final part of the large intestine, the rectum, is like a rubbish bin and temporarily holds waste until it is ready to be emptied. If waste matter is left in the ‘storage area’ for too long, too much water can be reabsorbed, resulting in constipation.
- The liver has many functions, but one of the most important is to filter your blood. It filters out toxic substances in the blood before it returns to general circulation. It also produces bile, which helps break down fats in the intestines.
- The skin is the largest organ of the body. The sweat glands of the skin allow toxins to escape as we perspire.
Digestive Bitters contain bitter herbs which have traditionally been used to increase bile flow. They stimulate the bitter taste receptors on the tongue, which in turn stimulate the upper digestive function (i.e. the stomach, liver and pancreas). In the stomach gastric acid secretion is increased, which has traditionally been shown to be beneficial in indigestion.
Milk Thistle supports the liver and has an antioxidant and free radical scavenging action. It supports the regeneration of liver cells and may help protect against potentially harmful substances.
Acidophilus Bifidus contains Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium animalis which are important beneficial bacteria, helping to stabilise and maintain healthy gut flora.
Colon Care is a laxative, prepared with fibre and herbs to assist the functioning of the colon. It promotes elimination and rids the body of waste.
The calorie-controlled menu plan that can be downloaded at blackmores.com.au/detox
is based on a level of 1434 calories (6000 kilojoules) per day.
Contraindications and cautions
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
|Silybum marianum (Milk Thistle) extract
equivalent to dry fruit
|Standardised to contain flavanolignans
Blackmores Acidophilus bifidus (For your intestines):
Active ingredients per capsule
1 Billion organisms made up of Lactobacillus acidophilus and
Blackmores Colon Care (For your intestines):
Active ingredients per gram
|Senna leaf dry
|Rhamnus frangula (Buckthorn) bark dry
|Psyllium husk powder
|Psyllium seed dry
|Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) seed powder
|Glycyrrhiza glabra (Liquorice) root powder
|Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Uva ursi) leaf powder
For your skin use Blackmores Skin exfoliating Mitt
||Take 5 ml (1 tsp)
before breakfast and dinner
(with breakfast, lunch and dinner)
||Take 2 capsules
(with breakfast and dinner)
||One level scoop mixed with a little water or juice on days 1 – 3 last thing before bed
|Skin Exfoliating Mitt
||Exfoliate on alternate days